|In 1945 the county ploughing
championships were held in Glenamaddy and were a huge success. After the ploughing, a
dance to commemorate the event and to formally announce the winners was held in the Town
Hall. Sadly though the Town Hall was not nearly big enough to hold the crowds that wished
to attend the dance so Mr.James Keaveney from Esker, Glenamaddy and his colleagues came up
with the idea that a larger venue should be built to hold the large crowds that attended
functions of this type in Glenamaddy.
||In 1947 a building of this calibre was
built by James Keaveney on the Kilkerrin Road in Glenamaddy, but because this was during
the war and because of some objection he could not hold get a licence to hold dances or
have a bar in the building. Eventually these problems were overcome and on the 27th of
April 1949 the first dance was held in The Esker Ballroom. The dance was very successful
and was the first of many, held every second Sunday, which would make the Esker Ballroom
famous throughout the country.
In 1960 Glenamaddy held its first drama festival. The
Esker Ballroom was given to the Festival Committee to hold the event which drew large
crowds from surrounding parishes who come and see the high quality theatrical productions
of the time.
(Right: Cab.K and his band on the first
time they played in Ireland at the Esker Ballroom.)
||In 1970 the Esker Ballroom closed as
marquees who were in direct competition with the Ballroom became more and more popular in
the area. The building was sold to Joe O'Neill who then set up the Sound of Music night
club which was also a huge success for many years and drew crowds from all over Connaught
and indeed Ireland.
|The building is not used for
dances or public gatherings anymore, but is now a furniture store which is opened on