Anglum Hall, Glanworth, Co. Cork
The Anglum Hall was opened in 1924 by
William Anglum, local musician and leader of his own 10 piece band back in the
Back in the very early days, this was quite common for the musician to own the
hall and use it to practice his craft.
For over 40 years, the ballroom was one of the top venues in North Cork, at
least locally. In 1952, William's band, the Anglum Orchestra,
packed it in, but the hall kept alive by meeting the needs of local groups like
the GAA and Macra na Feirme.
In 1968, William's son, Jerry was running the ballroom and he closed it for a
period to extend and refurbish it. The new Anglum Hall
opened its doors on September 30th, 1969 to the sounds of the Michael
O'Callaghan big band. For the next few years the hall
ran dances featuring some of the biggest names in the country, but by 1973 it
appears regular dances had stopped and the
hall was once again being used for meeting and local organisations.
Unfortunately the last reference we can find to the hall is in 1986.
We do know that today the Glanworth Community Centre is located in an old church
which has been converted to a hall,
but we do not know whether this has anything to do with Anglum Hall. If you know
more, please email us.