Astoria Ballroom, Bundoran, Co. Doengal
On February 24th, 1954, the doors of the
Astoria Ballroom opened for the first time boasting a 3500 sq. ft Canadian Maple
dance floor. Owned by Phil O'Connell, the Astoria
Ballroom was one of the finest seaside ballrooms in the country.
It ran seven nights a week at the height of summer, and featured everyone
who was anyone.
In the early 2000's it was renovated and contained a bar called Fast Freddie's,
and a club called Pluto.
Sadly in 2008, the Astoria burned to the ground bringing to a close its proud 54
Photo one, below is from Joan O'Connell and shows the Astoria in its
Photo 2 is the renovated Astoria in the early 2000's and we thank Johnny
Gallagher (son of Sean) for the photos.
The final photo is from Google Earth in 2010.