The building was built in 1862 for the
Marquess of Clanricarde. In 1928, it was donated to the townspeople by Lord
accompanied by Royal Highness, Princess Mary in a ceremony in Portumna.
In the 1930's the Town Hall was converted to a cinema and ballroom and was used
until the late 1980's when it was closed.
Although empty since then, there are local efforts to save the hall and return
it to use for the arts.